Twin Lakes welcomes our CLASS OF 2025
Starting high school is a dynamic time and we are excited to have you as our newest THUNDERBIRDS!
To ease your transition, we have created this webpage with relevant information to assist you in this process. Check in regularly to see updated posts.
If you have any questions, please call the TLSS Guidance office at (705) 325-1318 extension 43163
TLSS Guidance Staff
Mrs. Linda Buckland (Office Assistant)
Mrs. Lisa McCullough (Guidance Counsellor)
Mrs. Kerrie Pellarin (Guidance Counsellor)
2020-21 TRANSITION ACTIVITIES (provided by TLSS Guidance Department)
- Grade 8 Student Folders – contain grade 9 information and will be distributed by grade 8 teachers (January). Remote learners see distribution note below
- Grade 9 Course Selection powerpoint – to be shown in grade 8 classes (January)
- TLSS Virtual Open House – link to be shared with students/families (January)
- Google Meets with TLSS Guidance staff and grade 8 classes (January)
- Course selections to be entered into computer by students – in class with grade 8 teacher (February). Remote learners can email/fax (*see note below)
- Transition meetings – organized by Special Education or Student Success Teacher – elementary school will inform parents about these if applicable (winter/spring 2021)
- Grade 9 Newsletter – spring 2021
If you did not receive a Grade 8 Student Folder (contains: course calendar, option sheet, newsletter, PEAC application), please call Mrs. Buckland at (705) 325-1318 ext. 43163 to arrange a time, between 7:45am – 3:00pm, to pick one up outside the school. Please indicate to her if you are a current SCDSB student or from another school board.
For your convenience, the folder contents can also be downloaded from the links below. If you are from another school board, you must request the correct registration form directly from Mrs. Buckland.
Grade 9 Course Selections are due Monday March 1, 2021. Students will be entering their choices with their grade 8 teachers.
* Students learning from home are asked to email/fax their Grade 9 Option Sheet to: email@example.com of fax: (705)325-4291. Please contact Mrs. Buckland at (705)325-1318 extension 43163 if you have questions about this. Due date is Monday March 1, 2021.
GRADE 8 INFORMATION NIGHT VIDEO - CLICK HERE TO VIEW
For more information contact:
Principal Dan MacDonald firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidance Kerrie Pellarin email@example.com
Lisa McCullough firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Education Julie McCrackin email@example.com
PEAC Chris Lowery firstname.lastname@example.org
FNMI Brent Roy email@example.com
GRADE 9 COURSE SELECTION POWERPOINT
(ensure you have speakers to receive the audio presentation)
This is an overview of the high school program and grade 9 course selections
Please rewind to the beginning if the video does not automatically set at 0:00
Click to play
GRADE 8 STUDENT/FAMILY NEWSLETTER
Grade 8 Parent and Student Newsletter 2021 2022 FINAL.pdf
GRADE 9 COURSE CALENDAR
2021-2022 GRADE 8 course calendar (2).pdf
GRADE 9 OPTION SHEET (excluding French Immersion) – complete the worksheet in preparation for computer entry in February with grade 8 class
Grade 9 Option Sheet 2021 V3.pdf
GRADE 9 FRENCH IMMERSION OPTION SHEET – complete the worksheet in preparation for computer entry in February with grade 8 class
Grade 9 French Immersion Option Sheet 2021 (1).pdf
PEAC PROGRAM APP-OVERVIEW- 2021 comb.pdfCOMPUTER ENTRY INSTRUCTIONS – will be done in February with grade 8 teacher
Course Selection Instructions Grade 9-11 2021.pdf
MESSAGE FROM THE SCHOOL BOARD......
For the first time in your school career you get to choose some of the courses you take. It's also the time to explore what you want to do for a job when you're older.
Sometimes students feel nervous about starting high school—that's completely normal. Any time we go through a big change in our life, it's natural to have some nerves. It's important to know that you're not alone. You and hundreds of other students are starting grade 9 for the first time. Some students will come from other elementary schools, so it's a chance to meet new people.
High school also offers even more sports and activities than elementary school. There is a lot to choose from, and getting involved in activities is one of the best ways to meet people and make friends who have the same interests as you do.
Our school participates in the nationwide Link Crew Program, an organization whose sole purpose is to help grade nines feel more comfortable as well as help them achieve success in their first year of high school.
The Link Crew grade nine orientation and transition program is designed to both welcome and support grade nines by assigning them a senior student Link Leader as a mentor during this first year. This Link Leader is a responsible older student who was hand selected from a large pool of applicants and has met the qualifications of being a good role model and a positive leader at our school.
Here’s what to expect from Link Crew:
- An invitation to Grade Nine Orientation Day will arrive in the mail the summer before grade 9. Call the school if you don’t receive your invitation.
- A day or two before the orientation your Link Crew Leader will call to personally invite you to orientation day and provide the details you need.
- You’ll be updated throughout the year on the various activities and fundraisers happening at school
- Link Crew will host several spirit activities designed just for grade 9 students.
- Link Crew members will provide support throughout the year, both academically and socially.